The Church School Planning Team held its first meeting on June 21, 2017. The purpose of this team is to develop a children’s program at Church of the Redeemer.
At this meeting we created the following:
- Working groups in several areas
- A rough draft of a job description, which Father Jed Fox will finalize and post by the end of June.
The next planning team meeting is scheduled for July 12, 2017. It is at 7:00 pm in the Parish Hall.
Purpose of the Church School Planning Team
Evangelism has many faces.
- In the Gospels, the apostles are sent out to spread the Good News.
- In American history, there were circuit riders. These were ministers who went to towns and cities with a Bible in their saddlebags.
- Televangelism tries to reach people over the airwaves.
Another way to spread the Good News is by providing high quality Christian education.
We can no longer assume that people have any familiarity with Christianity. At baptism, and every time we renew our baptismal promises, we vow to proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ.
With this in mind, Church of the Redeemer applied to the Diocese of Olympia for a grant to develop a children’s curriculum. The idea was that we would develop an educational program that would launch in the fall of 2017.
The grant makes it possible for us to hire a part time paid teacher. This teacher creates stability for the children in the program. Then, we have members of the congregation serve as assistants.
Church School Working Groups
These are the working groups and team leads for the Church School Planning Team.
- Steering and Hiring: Father Jed
- Recruit, interview, and hire teacher
- Program oversight
- Teachers and Training: Maren Donley
- Coordinate training for volunteer teachers and assistants
- Materials: Miriam Terry
- Find affordable classroom materials
- Space Creators: Jen King
- Plan and set up the classroom space
- Publicity: Sarah Phillips
- Build awareness and provide information about the Church School
Next planning meeting
The next planning meeting for the Church School Planning Team is scheduled for July 12, 2017. It is at 7:00 pm in the Parish Hall.
If you are interested in being in one of the working groups, come to the next planning meeting or contact one of the team leads.
What all of us can do
What can the rest of us do?
Start spreading the news to friends and neighbors that we are hiring a part-time teacher. Also, spread the news that we’ll have Godly Play, a Montessori-based Church school program, ready for children by the end of September 2017.
Church of the Redeemer
Church of the Redeemer is at 6210 181st Street in Kenmore, Washington. We are a short distance north of Bothell Way, near the Burke-Gilman Trail. The entrance looks like a gravel driveway. The campus is larger on the inside than it is on the outside.
The Episcopal Church welcomes you.Please share this post with others
Follow Church of the Redeemer on social media